Thursday, March 8, 2012

Very Official As Of Today

As of today, I am officially going on an indefinite sabbatical with my lampworking. It's been delightful for the past almost-nine years with my bead making, being to share my portfolio on the Internet with the entire world. As tough as it is to make this decision, I long to use other media to express my creativity and unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on how you want to view it) my glass bead making no longer generates that kick or challenge I, as a "thrill-seeker" (no pain, no gain...), look for whenever I sit at the torch.

This morning, my faithful old Nortel Minor was the first to be bubble-wrapped - yes, it was a humbling and emotional experience (though no tears shed, no, no, I have yet to humanize my torch) to wrap my baby in bubble pack!!! - she's been with me since the start of my lampworking. Exactly two weeks after I started with lampworking - I used a hothead during the first two weeks and was banished by my family to practice in the kitchen as the hothead was terribly loud - I bought my Nortel Minor (she is music to the ears after the hothead!). Then, about two years later, I began a three-to-four-year affair with a Lynx torch. Well, the Lynx was not as faithful as my Minor, he was high-maintenance and I hadn't taken enough care of him. What else can one expect from a fella??!! Before he dumped me totally, I dumped him first. Anyway, my dear Minor took over where the Lynx left off and she's been the main drive behind my beads for the past years.

I still have beads from past to present that I shall be listing for sale. I shan't disappear altogether for now. Who knows when the faithful Minor will emerge again. There is a possibility for the old to join in with the new adventures. I like to leave a gap and not close the door completely, but for now, it's time to concentrate on my new ventures.

I hope you will continue to join me on this blog for more updates on my new adventures. Thank you for being around and following my work - may I leave you with my new beads I made recently.








15 comments:

Bobbie Pene said...

I left a comment on your facebook page, but I just want to say your beautiful toppers and beads will be missed. Life takes us on many journeys and while one journey ends another is merely beginning. Best of luck with your new ventures. xo

Glasperlenzimmer said...

Wish you all the best. Hope you come back one day with the beads.
LG
Ver

formartis - Iris Schäfer said...

Ich finde es so schade, dass wir nun für längere Zeit keine neuen Perlen mehr von Dir sehen! Und gleichzeitig freue ich mich schon auf Deine neuen Kreationen, welcher Art die auch immer sein werden.

Ich wünsche Dir bei Deinem neuen Weg viel Glück, Erfolg und jede Menge Spaß dabei!

Liebe Grüße, Iris

TesoriTrovati said...

Miss Dora-
As a devotee of your amazing work, this is a bit sad. But I understand that good things must come to an end, and you want to be free to explore your creativity in other ways. You are a marvelous artist and I am sure that no matter where your path takes you it will be filled with color and light and creativity. I hope you will take us on your next journey! This makes me treasure all the more the beautiful beads you made for me in 2010 for my gallery exhibit. I have been hoarding the last few! I will be looking to add to my collection with your last beads for sale if I can. Blessings to you on your journey!
Enjoy the day.
Erin

Heather Sellers said...

I'm not the best with words... never have been, never will be. My heart is sad. Your talent has touched so many in the art of lampworking and jewelry making.

I have always admired your sense of color. It is something that comes natural to some, not so much to others.

You have inspired many to use their gifts to help others through giving works. One can see that you give your heart to every bead you create.

Your new adventures will undoubtedly be fabulous. All the best, Heather

Dallis said...

Dora, I will miss seeing you at Bead and Button this year. I still have a lot of your beads that I have yet to incoporate into something wearable - I just take them out from their boxes every so often to admire them! I will definitely be following your blog to new adventures. Very best wishes, Dallis

Dallis said...

Dora, I will miss following your beading adventures - but I do own quite a few of your beads so I cannot complain too much. And I will definitely be following along with your new adventures. Very best wishes, Dallis

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, every single one of you. I believe in "exiting stage left" and perhaps letting the new generation of bead makers inspire me now.

See you soon in my next update!

Manuela said...

Liebe Dora,

ich wünsche dir ganz viel Freude.

Neues bringt immer so viel Schwung, Kreativität und vor allem ein tolles Lebensgefühl, irgendwie fühlt man sich wie neu geboren und die Neugierde auf neue Entdeckungen begeistert einen so richtig und treibt voran.

Ein wenig beneide ich dich ☺.

Liebe Grüße von "nebenan" wünscht
Manu

Deb said...

Dora, when you first mentioned this on FaceBook I understood completely how you were feeling (& I think the reasons were covered pretty well there).
I just want to say that in early 2007 your beads absolutely blew away & inspired a fledgling lampworker. Your style struck me as having an innate sense of understated elegance. You were one of 5 lampworkers that I said I'd do anything to take a class with. (Well almost anything - apparently it's illegal to sell your children to fly across the world & melt glass.)

I'll miss seeing your beads for sure, but wish you all the best on whatever paths your journey takes you....& quietly hope that you include us at some point so we are blessed with more artistic nourishment to feed our creative souls.

Vivas said...

Liebe Dora, wir werden auf Deine Rückkehr warten. Genieße dieses Jahr - und natürlich alle folgenden Jahre auch - in vollen Zügen!
Liebe Grüße
Petra & Victor

SueBeads said...

Hi Dora, it's a shame, your beads are so so beautiful! But I feel the same as you and i'm no where near your talent... good luck finding your new medium, I'm sure you'll be as successful! Please keep us informed of what you are doing!

inspiration-glas said...

Really adorable creations. Wonderful colours. What a pity that you'll stop this creative hobby.

Regards
Roland

Eva Maria Keiser said...

Best wishes in all that is the creative you and thank you for the inspiration of your works :)
Greetings,
-Eva Maria

Roberta said...

Hi Dora, I see your beads now for the fist and I want to tell you that I love them!