Tuesday, November 9, 2010

DID YOU KNOW THAT...

Luxembourg has one-tenth the population of Singapore but is almost four times larger than Singapore? Recently I was curious about Luxembourg and this is what I found out:

Luxembourg:
square area: 2586 sq. km or 998 sq. miles
population: 488,000

Singapore:
square area: 660 sq. km or 255 sq. miles
population: 4.8 million

Hamburg:
square area: 755 sq. km or 291 sq. miles
population: 1.8 million

Yes, you can imagine how Singapore is filled with skyscrapers - in comparison, Luxembourg and Hamburg have midget buildings.

I feel on top of the world when I get my lampworking second wind again (though who wouldn't?) - it's been a struggle making beads that "make sense" to me (meaning that I have to like them myself). Probably it has to do with the November grey weather which came with a sudden thud on the head; you can imagine how it landed squarely on my head. I was not at all motivated to make any beads - it was definitely an all-time low. I admit, my forlorn lampworking attempts provided me an outlet with sock-knitting, ordering yarn although I said that I would not stock up on wool yarns. Forget that I even thought I do not want to stock on yarns, I have already acquired a lovely collection of wool yarns. Besides the obvious material difference in glass and wool (duh...), I have to say that wool hardly weighs anything, they are very squooshable (which means I can stash them away without hubby noticing, hahaha!!!) and gosh, the luscious colors - they make you go wild!!!

As with any hobbies, sock-knitting has brought me up to another level with my lampworking - appreciating not just colors but the magnificent lace knits and designs by the very talented knitters which have their work published in books and on the internet. Imagine, the two little stitches - knit and purl with help from their friends, yarn-over, ssk, etc - can create beautiful wearables.

Here are some beads I made over the past two weeks to present - all of them will be on eBay.


ROSES ARE RED
I made an off-mandrel focal bead in this set

THE CHRISTMAS SONG
made with Bullseye glass
Each year around this time, I begin to make "Christmas-y" sets


THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS


GOLDEN SNOWFLAKES

UPSIDE DOWN, DOWNSIDE UP
black-and-white set with a vessel bead (off-mandrel focal)

WINTER, WINTER

JUST YOU AND I

FRIENDS

LEMON AND LIMES

TEENAGE CRUSH

5 comments:

Stephanie Gentry said...

Such beautiful beads. But, The Night Before Christmas...BREATH-TAKING!!!!

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, Stephanie!!

MOsART...glasperlentagebuch said...

allesamt eine augenweide! durfte deine perlen zum glück in wertheim in natura bestaunen und...eine als mein eigen nennen...
am besten gefällt mir das christmas-set...wunderschöne, sanfte farbkombi...das müssen harmonische weihnachten werden ;-)
herzlichst
mo

Dora Schubert said...

Lieben Dank, Mo!

Pretty Things said...

I was fortunate enough to travel to Luxembourg when I lived in Italy and I adored it! Such a gorgeous place!

As are your beads -- I'm astounded by them!