Thursday, October 28, 2010

ONE OF THOSE DAYS

Every so often, I become out of sync with my work - lampwork, to be exact - and "wander" around aimlessly. Perhaps it has to do with the grey days we are having for the past weeks that makes me feel hopeless. Tomorrow I leave for the Netherlands for a lampwork event called Flame-On! which runs over the weekend. I admit, my mojo just returned two days ago and I am feeling better. Still, I didn't get to turn on my torch till about 7pm yesturday because of unavoidable errands and by about 9pm, I was falling asleep at the torch. Ah well, it was definitely way too late to make beads. I struggled on but called it off by 9:30pm.

By the way, I have found a new hobby - sock-knitting. You might ask, isn't lampworking already a hobby, why take up sock-knitting? Well, that's exactly it, lampworking is a job for me - similar to perhaps your office job - and there are days where we need to turn our minds off our jobs and enjoy a hobby. Hobbies are good for the soul. The colors, the feel and the texture of woolen yarns are exactly the medicine the doctor would have prescribed for me. With glass beadmaking, I do not see the results of what I am doing till the next day when the kiln has cooled down to room temperature. If it is a new glass color I've not used it before, I might be in for either a pleasant or nasty surprise when I open the kiln. With knitting, I however see the pattern evolving as I work row for row and I get really excited when that happens. Each row contributes to the entire pattern and on its own, it's a just row of stitches. See, why it is important to have a hobby?! It invigorates your mind and you need time-out from your daily routine. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy...

Let me share with you a couple of beads I made recently - enjoy looking and see you soon!

OFF YOUR ROCKER

THE LONE CHERRY TREE

ANGEL WINGS

UNTITLED, gold-leaf covered bead
very large bead, it's 26mm in diameter


7 comments:

Guido said...

grosse klasse dora !!!
lg
guido

Sara said...

Dora que hermura, eres una artísta total. Besos.

TesoriTrovati said...

Oh I am so in love with those party lantern crayola box colors! Perfect thing to beat the gray days. Have fun at the Flame on! Enjoy the day!
Erin

formartis - Iris Schäfer said...

Dora, die sind wirklich wundervoll!

LG Iris

Dorith said...

Haha Dora! What a joy to read your new hobby is sock knitting!! I met you last sunday on the flame on. You make such a lovely beads. I'm a BIG fan!! And I'm a sock knitter too! :) I learned it for about 4 months now. And am making my 4th pair... just love it.
Also making glassbeads..just for fun :)
Grtz Dorith from Holland
www.kralorium.nl

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you all for your encouraging comments! Dorith, I started knitting socks in mid August this year and I am so hooked on them. I now on my 5th sock - with the 4th sock, I decided to only knit 1 sock, go on to knit a new one and then back to the previous one. Why do I do that? Simply because, there are so many patterns to try out! I love the lace patterns which are great for socks as you see them once the sock is stretched on your foot. Are you using toe-up or top-down?

Concha Signes said...

always great work, I love, I love the pieces of glass.
Greetings