Wednesday, July 7, 2010

UMBRELLA: RAIN OR SUN?

As I am updating this blog, many parts of the world in the Northern Hemisphere are experiencing a heatwave. From where I come from (i.e. Singapore), we use the umbrella, rain or shine. Actually, when it rains in Singapore, the umbrella does not give you that much protection - with the monsoon rains, you still get soaked under an umbrella. It is wiser to stay indoors or under a shelter when it pours in Singapore. Yes, you might say, I grew up using an umbrella for both the rain and sun.

Well, try using the umbrella when the sun shines in Germany, I get plenty of stares like I am bonkers or I have people mumbling "is it raining?" to me. For the past two weeks, the temperatures are as high as it is in tropical humid Singapore, it hovers at least 30°C (about 86°F) and still, no Germans have been sighted with an umbrella over their heads. So, does that boil down to looking good or what? The umbrella is not just a protection against rain, is it? Believe me, it is definitely cooler walking under the umbrella even though you think you look uncool with it during a sunny hot day. Most Asians will grab their umbrellas, when it is so hot - it's a matter of practicality. Of course, practicality more often than not, may not be cool-looking.

Anyway, stay cool and meantime, here are my new beads I'd like to share with you -


UNDER NO ILLUSION

UNDER NO ILLUSION, another view

SIMPLY DELIGHTFUL

YOU AND ME

FEEL MY SOUL

9 comments:

Perlenkatze said...

Dora I love them all, but my favorits are "for you and me"

Dora Schubert said...

Thanks, Gabie!

Dora Schubert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sassyglassdesigns said...

I just can't get enough of your beads - they are outstanding...beautiful work.

mamajanl said...

Dora, They are all lovely. What wonderful sets. Now, in sunny South Carolina, US, the "hat" ladies wear huge brimmed hats to cover their bodies from the sun. It works the same as umbrellas and their arms are free to do whatever. Since I am not a Southerner by birth, I just let the Vitamin D hit my head naturally. :)

by keiara - lampwork beads said...

I don't own an umbrella, but I see no problem with using it in the sun! I'm very fair and burn so easily plus I'm extremely sensitive to the heat. Living in England is much better for me, weather-wise and whenever I go back to Florida, I feel I might die from heatstroke!

Dora.. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Under No Illusion and Feel My Soul so much! Woman, you are amazing!!! Have a wonderful weekend <3

Glaszwerg said...

Beautiful!

Dora Schubert said...

Thanks, all!!!

Jan, I love wide-brimmed hats, but my hair looks terrible when I remove my hats!! It looks awful and makes me feel icky...

Jenn said...

Dora - outstandingly beautiful beads. I love watching your work.

I live in Hong Kong now and I totally understand the umbrella thing.