Sunday, July 11, 2010

SLOW PROGRESS...

It's so hot these days that I honestly dread turning on my torch and my kiln to make beads. In a way, I am slowing down in "churning" out beads. Usually by the second bead, the heat makes me sleepy and I feel awfully brain-dead. However, I am not complaining about the weather, let me have the hot weather over the cold anytime!! What I do when it is so hot, is to put a damp washcloth or tea-towel around my neck when I sit at the torch. Do you realize that this actually keeps you nice and cool? Neat idea, huh? I also put a damp towel on our dog, Sandy, and let the fan blow on him. His fur is cool under the towel. I don't recall whether I mention that it is not usual to have ACs in Germany. We have lots of windows at home, perhaps you can imagine the infernal greenhouse effects we are experiencing. I certainly know how a chicken broiling in an oven feels like.

Not very many beads to show you this time round, my brain isn't exactly telling my hands what to do; it is telling me to take naps instead...

Ok, this set has a little tale to it. I based the choice of colors to the Chinese culture - yellow, red and turquoise (the Chinese call this blue-green). Yellow is an important color, in the past it was solely reserved for the Emperors while today, it is still reserved for royalty. Yellow is also the main color of Buddhism (most Chinese are Buddhists), a representation of being free from worldly cares. Red symbolizes happiness, joy, wealth, prosperity. As for blue-green, it symbolizes spring which is about vitality, vigor, longevity and harmony.

THE LAST DYNASTY

5 comments:

eve said...

I wish it was nice and sunny here, it has rained all week and with gale force winds, but anyway thats Scotland for you. I love the colour combo of the stunning beads.

mamajanl said...

May you have all those wonderful gifts....Lovely set...

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, Eve & Jan!

Perlenkatze said...

Dora, die sehen absolut fantastisch aus.

Dora Schubert said...

Vielen Dank, Gabie!