Thursday, April 22, 2010

WHY NOT?

Recently I  was asked again whether I have offer any tutorials for my stringer control. Over the weekend, my husband and I discussed about the hard facts, one of them being the most important of all, what on earth is so special about my tutorial that will make someone want to buy it and not the other tutorials already available? Let's be honest, the market is already flooded with lampworking tutorials; to come up with another tutorial, then I have to jolly well make sure, it is extra special and is a 'must-have'. To be able to communicate your techniques across to any audience, you must be a very good author, choosing your words carefully and making sure that every reader knows exactly what you mean and not what they think you mean to say or convey. My respect, however, goes to my lampworking colleagues who have written and presented their tutorials; there is a lot of work involved and one is never sure how their tutorials will be received by other lampworkers.


More Mad Hatter series beads, made over the past days. Two days ago, I made three focal beads in nine hours. Don't ask, it was one of those days where I ignored all rules of keeping the bead nice and warm while decorating. Towards the end, just when I was about finished, there was a 'puck' sound (this is exactly the sound when the glass cracks) accompanied by my long string of expletive words which I shall not publish here. This cracking went on the whole day, awww...I feel so backwards!! About six beads went to their graves silently...


Yesturday, torching was better, thank heavens. The beads will be either listed on Ebay, Etsy, BigCartel and/or DaWanda. The listing information will be found on my Facebook Page (Beadchatter) - or simply contact me directly if you wish to purchase any beads.




GROUP PHOTO #3!!


TEA PARTY
51x32mm, 12mm thick
TEA PARTY reverse side
IMAGINATION
53x26mm, 10mm thick
IMAGINATION
JUST PICTURE THIS
39x29mm, 12mm thick
JUST PICTURE THIS reverse side
LOST IN THE LABYRINTH
48x31mm, 11mm thick
LOST IN THE LABYRINTH reverse side
FAR FROM THE MAD HATTER'S CROWD
56x31mm, 11mm thick
FAR FROM THE MAD HATTER'S CROWD reverse side
NO END TO A BEGINNING
48x31mm, 11mm thick
NO END TO A BEGINNING reverse side
HAPPY ALL OVER AGAIN
46x34mm, 10mm thick
HAPPY ALL OVER AGAIN reverse side

8 comments:

Silver Parrot said...

These are really beautiful. I love the bright colors and the detail work!

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, the weather's making me choose these colors!!

jeanniesbeads said...

Ps - love your new beads also.

jeanniesbeads said...

I would probably buy your tutorial - there are alot out there that I wouldn't buy, as what they are showing is readily available in books that have already been published. I've been an admirer-er of your stringer control for along time.
Jeannie

Dora Schubert said...

Well, that's exactly my point, Jeannie - if we bother to read the books again and thoroughly, we don't really need more tutorials. Makes more sense to find classes instead of spending on tutorials. You can ask specific questions directed at your own 'problems'. Appreciate your comments about my beads - thank you!

Narrative jewelry said...

Your new beads are just gorgeous dear Dora, love the colours. May i just add a word concerning your "non tutorial" answer, here in France, we have no teachers, and it is difficult to ask anyone, anything ! I found my answers in American and English forums, that's just a pity. So, when i found a good tutorial as the one you can offer, i won't hesitate. I really love the way you play with glass. May be a video more than a tutorial, just for the pleasure to see you working ?
Anyway, i am a great fan of your work, and i am grateful for what you share with us.

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, Narrative Jewelry - sorry, I forget names! Yes, I also thought about videos, again - you need a 'cameraman' who knows which angle to capture. Sorry to hear that you have little possibilities in France to attend any workshops. Maybe you have to look at workshops outside of France, there are quite a few workshops offered in eg Germany, Switzerland and Holland.

Mermaid Glass said...

I just love this series your working right now. The colors pop like crazy and they are so fun and lighthearted. Perfect for spring.