Wednesday, March 3, 2010

NOT NEW BUT REDISCOVERING MAKES IT NEW

Last week I began toying around with making hollow beads again while still mad about making floral beads. Not sure if anyone would relate me to floral beads, but hey, that's the joy of lampworking - it's an endless road of experiments and new experiences. One thing for sure, I was cracking a lot of the hollow beads - basically it was a thermal shock reaction, I had let the bead cool too much while 'drawing' the designs and when I introduced the bead into the heat, it cracked. Another error was, I had inadvertently spot-heated while applying the stringer till the walls became too thin. Oh well. all a learning process. Hollow beads are not new for me but like floral beads, it's been years since I've made any.  As usual, all beads are for sale and I shall be listing them on etsy or ebay and if they're not listed yet, please contact me directly.

VERY HOT FLOWERS
measures 36x20mm, made on 2mm mandrel



WHITE AS SNOW
measures 36x22mm, made on 2mm mandrel



DELICATE
measures 35x15mm, made on 2mm mandrel
Bead is flat on the back and the flower motif is on this side only. The back shows the Double Helix glass on black, encased with clear glass. 



THE GOLDFISH BOWL, hollow bead
measures 27x31mm, 2mm mandrel
there is deeper color in the middle. I think I grabbed the wrong glass.



PERHAPS IT'S A PLUM? - hollow bead
measures 26x29mm
Transparent Medium Amethyst with purple motifs

SWEPT BY THE SEA, hollow bead
measures 31x33mm, 2mm mandrel
Transparent Cobalt Blue with orange and light blue motifs

LOUIE, THE PUFFER-FISH
hollow bead, measures28x38mm, 2mm mandrel
Transparent medium topaz with light blue motifs and orange murrini eyes
Louie was made on a mandrel (running from top to bottom) and when it was completed, I  made a hole and 'painted' his lips with carrot-red glass.

Louie's tail



MAGIE NOIRE
9 beads, measuring 13cm (over 5") in length, made on 1.6mm mandrels
Magnolia-style beads with two flower end beads



END OF DECEMBER
a mixture of 14 beads, 4 in light green with white motifs and the rest in amethyst with purple motifs.
Total length: 17.5cm (almost 7") 



6 comments:

by keiara - lampwork beads said...

Ohhhh Dora.. these are all superb!! It actually makes my heart speed up to look at these!! Gorgeous work :) <3

Dora Schubert said...

Thanks a bunch, dear Keiara! Glad I got your adrenaline up!!

adi said...

Ich liebe DELICATE , sie ist soooo schön und zart - einfach toll.
Lg
Adi

Dora Schubert said...

Dankeschön, liebe Adi!

Guido said...

hallo dora . . .
auf schweizer deutsch: läck bobby -
was soviel heisst wie: sensation ;)
lg
guido

Dora Schubert said...

Moin, moin, Guido! Herzlichen Dank und ein schönes Wochenende!