Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A DIFFICULT TIME

On Friday, we received a call from our dear friends whom we met about 20 years ago at a baby play-group with our first-borns. My husband answered the call and we were told that Ulla, who is 44, is attending undergoing a therapy in the hospital on how to deal with her pain. She was diagnosed with melanoma three years ago and was given no chance of recovery then. However she fought and still is fighting against the odds, although the tumor cells have metastasized to her lungs, brain and now her stomach or intestines. She has undergone chemo- and radiotherapy for each of the metastasis (is this what it's called?) but it keeps spreading. Now,  her husband told us that she is self-administering morphine to ease the pain. Ulla is not hospitalized, she is home. I can't tell you how affected I have been by the news. I can't bear to think of what she is going through, what her family is going through. They have two children, both same ages as our own and the saddest part is her younger son does not remember the times when she was healthy. 

My husband is presently away in Canada and the USA on business. We will drive to visit Ulla and her family when he returns on the weekend. I can't handle the situation by myself if I drove to visit them on my own. It will be too emotional for me. They live in Hamm, where we used to live before our relocation to Singapore in 1994.

Besides the work I am due to hand in to the galleries, I haven't really been able to concentrate; my mind keeps wondering. The metalworking is a good diversion, I can literally hammer my feelings out and yes, file half of my nails off too...

Perhaps this is why I made these two 'fun' beads, birds and my favorite creatures, white mice...


TWO FRIENDS
These two birds perch on a tree, holes run through the birds.


SSSHHHH...THE CAT!!!!
Two mice perching on a slice of swiss cheese, their tails wrap around the 'cheese'

I had to show you the nice fat bottoms of the mice, isn't it fat and cute? Yes, the holes run through the mice like the birds. They look upwards or downwards when you place the bead upright.


IT'S CASCADING
I made this focal weeks ago, but forgot all about it
measures 40mm long and 34mm at its widest


Reverse side of IT'S CASCADING


ALL FOR LOVE
Measures 38mm (hole-to-hole) x 33mm at its widest

Reverse side of ALL FOR LOVE



BECAUSE OF YOU
27mm in diameter
Black motifs on white, with red heart which has been left slightly raised.


Reverse side of BECAUSE OF YOU


5 comments:

Narrative jewelry said...

Sorry about the bad news from your dear friend Ulla, all my thoughts and prayers will be for her and her family. She surely needs your help and friendship during those moments.
Can i say your last beads are gorgeous as usual. Love especially, this time, the so cute mice. Great work Dora.

xox

Sue Doran said...

{ BIG HUG } Sorry to hear about your friend's bad news.

eve said...

sorry to hear about your freind, it's so sad when things happen like this, and i bet you feel so helpless when you see her, just be there for her when she needs you. i love the casscade beads.x

mamajanl said...

Hang in there. I understand how you are feeling. My sister just told me that my brother-in-law had a stroke on Monday and is in the hospital. She was busy running and couldn't get to me sooner. As we have all said before, life does strange things to us. I love your fun animals. They seem perfect therapy. Keep on doing these. Take care, Jan

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, ladies. Yes, Eve, you've hit the nail on the head - I feel helpless and I don't know what to do or say. We can't even physically embrace her anymore, she has pain all over. Isn't it horrible to know that you can't see your children grow up and you know you're dying? I agree with you, Jan, life does have strange twists and turns. Life is short, we mustn't stay angry for too long, get over any disappointments fast and enjoy the happy moments more. Yes, I will make more fun critters, they are good for the soul.