Tuesday, February 23, 2010

BACK TO THE HUMBLE BEGINNINGS

When I began lampworking in 2003, I was very fascinated with making floral beads - in fact, if I am not mistaken, most beginners become very smitten with floral beads. Then in around 2004 or 2005, I stopped making floral beads altogether. Oh, please don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't like floral beads, in fact, I find them very fascinating and still do. We move on, as with all things in life and then one you stumble upon your beginnings again.

WhatIn my last blog, I mentioned that I have two-layered florals - I am not sure if you understood exactly what I meant. Firstly, the flowers I make have compound or composite petals (usually 2 rows of petals) and secondly, there are actually 2 batches/levels of flowers. Usually I use two different colors for each 'level' - the purpose of this is to achieve depth within the bead, giving it a 3-dimensional effect. Here are a couple of floral beads I made yesturday:



SNOW WHITE II
Measures 33x22mm, made on 2mm mandrel

all flowers are in white, the cobalt blue base makes it easy enough for creating depth. Also, the hind flowers are standard blossoms whilst the top are composite flowers


Another view of the above bead



BLUE POPPIES
measures 47x23mm, made on 2mm mandrel

Against a lighter background or core, I tend to use 2 different colored flowers to increase the visual depth. Otherwise the depth between the two flower levels will not show up as nicely. 


Another angle of Blue Poppies



LOVE-IN-A-MIST
measures 39x19mm, made on 2mm mandrel

I used fine blue aventurine (goldstone) on top of transparent medium green for the core of the bead; there is a light shimmer when the light hits the bead at the right angles. Bottom flowers have single petals; top flowers also have single petals but has extra surrounding petals, so it looks like a 12-petaled flower.

another view of the Love-In-The-Mist



THE NIGHT OF THE RED LANTERN
measures 30mm in diameter, 12mm thick

This is my absolute favorite focal bead with the enamels application. It seems to have closed a chapter for me in lampworking. Well, at least for now, the phase with enamels is over. 


Reverse side of The Night of the Red Lantern



BIRD WITH MOHAWK
measures 56x27mm, 10mm thick

I admit, I wasn't sure what bird I was going to draw and it basically grew a mohawk...his mohawk is on the reverse side of the bead. BTW, these focals are large over 2" in length, it just seems small in the photo, if you compare it to the lentil bead (The Night of the Red Lantern), but in actual fact, it is twice the length of the Red Lantern bead.


See the mohawk?



THE RAINBOW BUTTERFLY
measures 62x30mm, 11mm thick, made on 2mm mandrel

Ok, this colors of the wings are better in person than on the photo and this bead is BIG. I couldn't capture the colors. This has got to be my all-time favorite work. You know, it becomes scary when I have reached this stage; I wonder if I will make another piece which will measure up to this 'drawing'



Front and back view of the THE RAINBOW BUTTERFLY.
The wings of the butterfly wrap around the back.


4 comments:

die-kleine-perle said...

hallöchen,

also mir gefällt love in a mist besonders gut und the rainbow butterfly. aber auch die anderen perlen sind toll. ich finde es immer wieder interessant wie unterschiedlich doch die ergebnisse mit ein und dem selben material sein können.

gruß katharina

Dora Schubert said...

Danke, liebe Katherina.

feelingfimo said...

Dear Dora, you make glorious beads! Truly divine!!! Your work is a feast for my eyes!!!

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, feelingfimo (sorry, I don't know your name!)