Sunday, January 3, 2010

Snowy Danish Coast

Hello to a brand new and exciting new year!! May I also wish you a very successful, healthy and happy new year, everyone!!!

Last month, we spent our first family vacation since 2006. We took the opportunity to escape the usual Christmas stress - ah, Christmas sounds so faraway, doesn't it? Though it is only about 8 days before. We rented cottage at Henne Strand in Denmark for a week, which allows dogs and basically that is one of the main reasons why we even opted to holiday in Denmark. The Danish are well-known for their beaches which allow pooches the entire year round. In summer, there is a mandatory on-leash requirement when the dogs are on the beach and in winter, the dogs are allowed to run off-leash. As our dog gets older, I am more reluctant to leave him behind with a dog-sitter or dog kennel. He is 12+ and is in a good healthy condition; I guess dog lovers will know how I feel.

My husband has been on annual winter leave and yes, your spouse or partner definitely influences your activities! I only turned on my torch twice for the past week - he returns to work tomorrow, which also means I will return to my usual torch routine. It has been really nice and relaxing, taking my 'vacation' from my studio while my husband is his leave. Basically I spent my days cooking and trying out old as well as new recipes. I have picked up knitting again. The last time I knitted was 15 years ago and back then, I was learning how to knit with help from the sales assistants from the wool store! I am now using books written by Elizabeth Zimmerman to guide me through my knitting these days. Anyway, I am most happy to be occupied with my hands while away from the torch.

Here are some holiday photos mostly taken by my husband which I'd love to share with you. Henne Strand, according to the locals, usually does not have any snow during winter and this is one of the rare occasions when they have a white Christmas.

Miles and miles of undisturbed coast


Sydney, our younger daughter, freezing away...

Sandy taking his usual nap at noon

Sun did show up once during the week long vacation

That's me, my husband - Kai - and our pooch, Sandy

Cara and Sydney, our two girls

Sandy and my husband

Sydney
Sydney

Cottage we rented

7 comments:

eve said...

This looks fab, my hubby goes back to work tomorrow, i don't go back till wednesday so i have a few days peace and quite. I also know what it's like to have a dog that i hate to leave, she will be in for a shock when we all go back to work. look forward to seeing all your new creations for 2010

Dora Schubert said...

Oh yes, Eve, your dog will be wondering where you are come Wed. She will not be happy when you leave but hey, think of how happy she'll be when you return home!

Lynne Glazzard said...

That looks beautiful. I know just what you mean about leaving the dog. Our dog is 13 now and getting a bit funny, although our neighbour is usually happy to look after him if we are away I don't like leaving him so much these days - but he has stopped going for walks with me, which I also miss. He used to lie in his bed in the studio but at the moment prefers to stay in the house where it is warmer.

rosebud101 said...

Looks like you had a wonderful Christmas vacation, Dora!

Dora Schubert said...

Yes, I had a wonderful vacation, Mallory. It was pure relaxation, veg out, do only what we felt to up doing; the only routine we stuck to was of course taking walks twice daily with the dog as well as longer walks without the dog.

Lynne, I know exactly how you feel. Our dog is becoming selective about his bedding these days, the thicker and softer it is, the more he welcomes it. We know that he will one day suddenly become 'really old'. After all, he is Gramps, isn't he?

Alison G said...

We have a 10 year old Boxer (called Knuckles) and he really loves his comforts these days, just like Sandy. It looks a beautiful place to be, but how did Sandy manage without his chair leg to paw hook? :D

Dora Schubert said...

Aww, Alison, boxers are so cool!!! Total gentle fellas!! Oh, this was a very rare moment where Sandy wasn't hooking his paw around a chair/table leg!!