Friday, December 11, 2009

WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS

Ok, this morning I had to vent my frustrations out about someone who had taken over my payment and shipment terms and conditions mentioned on ebay. I chanced upon it when I left my feedback for a buyer and out of curiosity, I checked on what she had purchased from another lampworker - the seller had left her feedback for the same buyer. It wasn't the beads which upset me, it was that this seller had taken over my entire text for the shipping and payment terms, word for word in both English and German. So, what does this tell us, folks? Don't complain about the mainland Chinese copying us, we're also copying each other here in Europe. Imagine, you can't even come up with your own terms and conditions for your business, how unprofessional is that?? How on earth can you take someone else's terms/conditions and use them? You are ultimately responsible for your own conditions you offer to your buyers.

So, am I being a jerk about the copying text? Yes, sure I am. I admit, it's petty, stupid, silly, foolish and wasting my time and energy. And you want to know who I am talking about? Naaa, I'm not going to tell. Let's get on with life and the weekend! But remember, it is serious business when you simply take over someone else's terms and you can't say later, 'but I didn't know that paragraph was in my terms and conditions'.


Focal bead with pearlescent finish, motifs in black
26mm diameter

OK, the Magnolia series are a little sensitive to me as there is another lampworker who's making them recently. So, you might say I am copying her? I did not learn the technique from her. It happened when I was learning how to make implosions from Anarkin's website, I stumbled upon this Magnolia technique by accident - accidents do happen when you experiment. That is the beauty of experiments.

Magnolia beads


Magnolia beads


Reef bead
measures 36x21mm

Same reef bead as above, another angle

Below beads are all lentil-shaped, measuring 26mm in diameter. Mostly black-and-white unless otherwise stated.

Focal, grey with white




Focal bead, white with black motifs

Focal bead, smokey ring with black motifs










Mustard with sky blue motifs






Untitled, made with Bullseye glass
Small lentils, each about 18mm

4 comments:

Adventures with Millie Making Jewelry said...

Those are amazing beads! I'm fascinated with lampwork...lovely work!

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, Millie! I am happy to help you get addicted to lampwork!!!

Lynne Glazzard said...

Dora your beads are all amazing. I also had a look at Anarkin's website and the article you referred to was really interesting. Thank you for sharing all of this

Dora Schubert said...

Hey Lynne, thank you. I am happy to hear that you've checked out Anarkin's website - it is fun trying to make the implosion. I still try to understand the logic and physics of how the glass implodes, ie what makes it implode?