Friday, September 18, 2009

Turning Over A New Leaf

Two new illustrations I drew this week which I'd like to share with you.

Take Flight
Pigmented drawing ink & Indian ink
250 gr paper; 20x20cm

Butterfly in Garden
Indian Ink
250gr paper; 20x20cm

Yes, I am glad that it's Friday and the weekend is looking good as in weather-wise! We are experiencing late summer temperatures but it feels more like spring than fall. Leaves are beginning to turn yellow-orange-brown, beautiful time of the year.

I have a new collection of glass beads which I call 'Turning over a new leaf' - the designs on the beads are quite like my illustrations and very motivated by the surrounding nature.

Turning Over A New Leaf #1
3.7cm long


Turning Over A New Leaf #1, another angle of bead


Turning Over A New Leaf #2
3.8cm long


Turning Over A New Leaf #2, another angle of bead


Turning Over A New Leaf #3
3.9cm long


Turning Over A New Leaf #4, another angle of bead


Turning Over A New Leaf #5
4.1cm long


Turning Over A New Leaf #5, another angle of bead


Turning Over A New Leaf #6
4.9cm long


Turning Over A New Leaf #6, another angle of bead


Turning Over A New Leaf #7
4.7cm long


Turning Over A New Leaf #7, another angle of bead


Turning Over A New Leaf #8
4.7cm


Turning Over A New Leaf #8, another angle of bead

The below bead is an Anna Karenina focal. Only made one such focal as I am fully into making the 'Turning Over A New Leaf' beads - you know how it is, I just have to get it out of my system plus it is likely here to stay for a while with me.

Winter Star
4.5cm

The below beads are what I made during the two-week workshop in Istanbul. These are the handful of beads which I kept for myself. The rest of the demo beads were distributed among my students.

Untitled
5.2cm long


Black Honey
4.9cm


Untitled
4.7cm long

Untitled, another angle of the previous bead


One of the students was Greek and was dating an Orthodox priest in Greece. Did you know that Orthodox priests may choose before their 'final vows' into priesthood whether they wish to marry or remain celibate? I didn't realize that till Istanbul. Anyway, Lina has asked me to show her how to make crucifixes and I decided to make them leaning towards the dark ages or Gothic scene than for religious reasons. I was told that they look macabre and creeping - yes, that's exactly how I wanted them to look like in the first place!

Crucifix with blue flower
5.1cm long

Crucifix with yellow flowers
5.7cm long
My favorite crucifix - notice if you will, how it tapers towards the bottom?

Crucifix with periwinkle flowers
5.2cm long

3 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Dora,
those are amazing beads! Wow!

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, Rose!

SueBeads said...

Your "new leaf" beads are just amazing! I love them!