Thursday, June 25, 2009

LIFE BEYOND BEADS

Now, what does that mean? After my trip to Milwaukee, I have been at it - ie making beads and making beads only - almost non-stop again. Sure, I don't have any pictures to show you because it takes time to string up the beads, take photos and edit them. I am just too happy indulging in what I love doing, so what is life beyond beads? Well, the usual stuff really; like the eternal-haunting-here-to-stay housework, the husband, kids and dog. Ah, before I forget, the baby raven I talked about last time has been left behind by his folks. Two days after I discovered him and after his folks left him to probably kick the bucket, I climbed onto the rooftop (not to worry, it's a flat rooftop, that's why I have my bird feed on the rooftop) and rescued the poor wet fellow; brought him to a wild bird care-giver who lives about 45min away from us. She examined him immediately and found out that he has a broken left wing. That's why he never attempted to take flight and his parents dumped him on us.

Here's Sandy after one week of operation, he had his stitches removed today. I woke him up from his nap for this photo, you can see he's not very happy about the proposition (can you hear him: exxxcuuuse me, you wake me up for a photo? Leave me A-lone). His fur around his eye and the eyelashes have grown out and he looks great.


At the recent Bead & Button Show, I treated myself to Kate Fowle's copper electroforming workshop. She is such a cool teacher and I highly recommend anyone interested in electroforming to take classes from her - she is definitely a great instructor and know what she's talking about. Here's my 2nd attempt at electroforming my bead on my own - I bungled up the 1st attempt by accidentally giving the bead too much amps and the copper fell off. I have taken 3 angles of the same bead to show you what it looks like. I made grooves into the bead where I had wanted the copper to be electroformed on.




So, what is electroforming? My younger daughter Sydney was explaining to me why it works yesturday - she studied about electric currents in Physics and understood immediately what I was doing when she saw the set-up. Alright, alright, I admit, I must be the only one who doesn't know what the heck it is... I wish to quote Kate on electroforming: a metal skin can be built up on a metal surface, or any surface that has been rendered electroconductive through the application of a paint that contains metal particles. According to Kate, the easiest and safest metal to electroform is copper since silver and gold processes involve cynanide baths. I can't be sure that at this time that I will electroform my beads all the time, but it's a new toy to complement my beads. Oh, I'm sure you know how I feel - anything new is going to consume us 24/7.

As promised, here are some beads I made recently - these are quick snap shots and not really 'done up' for a pretty shot.

Floral Focals
I made these to be electroformed, the 2nd bead from left was the 1st bead I tried to electroformed but overzealously gave it too much electric currents and the copper got fried. But I may not be electroforming all of them, we'll see.


Zero-Calories Mini Party Cupcakes
I saw Diana Rast's photos (through Facebook) on her lampworked cupcakes and loved the idea that I too had to make some! They're fun beads to make - almost like Earth-To-Mum beads. I am trying to make 100 such cupcakes by tomorrow. So far, there are about 70 cupcakes.


Anna Karenina Series
Love coming back to these designs and simply using different color combos.
I can't believe it's already Thursday, another weekend is around the corner! Have a good one, y'all!

11 comments:

emmyvanhavere said...

So glad that Sandy is all ok now!

And love your newest beads, yummy cupcakes! :)

mamajanl said...

Wow, you have been busy and the work is all gorgeous. Even your puppy looks great. Jan

eve said...

Oh some lovely beads you have been making, cupcakes are lovely also, good to see your dog is on the mend, have a good weekend,x

rosebud101 said...

Wow! Amazing beads! Those cupcakes make me hungry! Glad that puppy is doing better! Someday, I'll have to try electroforming!

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, everyone! Our pup is definitely in good spirits!! Still attempting more cupcakes - perhaps I'd go for 100 per week, that'll be a project to look forward to!

Lisa Atchison - Touch of Glass Designs said...

Dora, Sandy is beautiful, and I'm glad to see him recovering so quickly.

All of your beads are incredible! I think your Anna Karenina Series will always be some of my favorites :) I cannot wait to see more of your electroforming.

Have an enjoyable weekend!

Dora Schubert said...

Thanks, Lisa! Sandy's just the coolest dude around, he's real laid-back and easy-going. Doesn't bark at all, only sings, well he yowls. I need to record it on video and upload on my blog!

I actually put that electroformed bead into a jar of 25% ammonia to 'fume' it but it didn't achieve the colors I wanted, just turned dark, almost like regular patina. I am tumbling it now to bring out some shine in it. Will see how it goes.

Have a good weekend too!!

Rambling Rose Jewellery said...

What a lucky little Raven for chosing your roof to land on! Please keep us posted on his recovery.

Sandy looks like she has a beautiful nature. It won't be long before she has fully recovered.

I love your copper-plated bead, it really enhances the details. Silver would look great too, but not worth risking working with poisonous chemicals. Be careful with copper too even though it isn't as dangerous it still has risks

https://louisville.edu/research/cleanroom/msds-library/copper%20plating%20solution%20.pdf

you may also be able to find a material saftey datasheet for copper and the other reagents that you are working with.

Dora Schubert said...

Thanks for the info on copper!

Design Fischlein said...

I'm stunned by your beads - think I need to see them in person one day :-)
Grüße aus Erlangen
Angela

Dora Schubert said...

Liebe Angela,

Thank you for your encouraging compliment, I look forward to meeting you soon!