Monday, May 4, 2009

IT'S ALREADY MAY!!

Gosh, how time flies! I can't believe it's already May. Sometimes I wonder why I feel that time goes by quicker now than while I was younger; then I felt time went by too slow. These days I wish I had more than 24 hours in a day, there seems to be more and more things to learn and do. Still, I try not to go overboard and begin new hobbies/crafts although I am itching to do so.

Last spring (ie 2008) in Tucson, I learned how to crochet (using a crochet hook) and braid (using a Kumihimo disc) seed beads. I did not pursue this any further after crocheting a few bracelets for my daughters. It was only recently that my interest sparked again and decided to search online for more information on Kumihimo as braiding seed beads is easier than crocheting - this is my own personal opinion and does not reflect others' opinion. I stumbled upon Jacqui Carey who is based in the UK and an expert in Kumihimo. Her books have inspired me to pick up braiding again and what do you know?! I ordered the 'proper' Marudai to work along with all the accessories needed for Kumihimo. The Kumihimo disc is definitely a very economical way to try out braiding before fully investing into the actual equipment. I am practising the braiding by using crochet thread and am not quite confident in using silk threads at this time. I am however most tempted to start using seed beads and making the braids for necklaces. Anyway, here are the first samples made two weekends ago -


As for lampworking, I made a few more Taj beads as well as a new bracelet. Each bead set has two photos showing the 'front' and one end of the beads -






6 comments:

Diana Ferreira said...

Oh Dora, what beauriful beads!

I have done a bit of the braiding, and did it with silver wire ... It was actually much easier than I thought it would be. Got a nice tight weave out of it, and were able to thread some big-ish holed beads onto the wire too. Made a nice bracelet out of it.

Dora Schubert said...

Thanks, Diana! Yes, the braiding is delightful for the hands and mind. I especially like the fact that I sit on a very low stool near the floor instead of kneeling like the Japanese would do and the movements of the braiding is very meditative. I actually feel calm whenever I sit at the marudai to braid.

Lisa Atchison - Touch of Glass Designs said...

Dora, always, your work is breath taking!

Rambling Rose Jewellery said...

Dora, your beads are wonderful. I dream of being able to make lampwork beads one day. I am on a waiting list for tuition here in New Zealand. There aren't many lampwork artists here.

I have added your blog link on my blog list of bloggers who's talents I admire.

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, Lisa - see you in Milwaukee!

Thank you, Andree! Thank you for adding me on your blog list. I am pleased to hear that you are joining the lampwork scene!! Just beware, it's totally addictive and rewarding, forget the household chores and everything else!!

Rambling Rose Jewellery said...

lol Dora, I can just imagine being addicted to making lampwork beads. I am already addicted to making jewellery and the excitement of looking for beads and findings. Then waiting for the mail man to deliver my goodies that I order from overseas. Hmmmmm housework...meals...television...what are they? hehehe