Tuesday, April 7, 2009

JELLIES AND PAPER ROSES

It's been a busy week for me - presently I am filled with ideas for my glass beads but can't seem to find enough time in a day to realize each and every idea. I tend to become 'zombized' with a particular whenever I find that the test bead has turned out exactly the way I had envisioned it to be.

Earlier on, I was fixated with my 'Taj' beads and then I got hung up on making 'Jellies' (3-D jellyfish) which eventually led me to making Paper Roses beads.

Attempt #1
This poor thing looks like I sat on it, it's quite messy and I wanted to add the jellyfish into my Reef beads, but I realize now that there's too much happening in the background. I need to place the jellyfish in a 'quieter' zone; as in real life, when we sight any jellyfish, they usually float on the surface of the water.

Attempt #2
An improving jellyfish bead, I do step back and try to figure out how I could improve the bead whenever the 1st attempt is a disaster. Quite pleased with this bead though I am quite convinced that the background is too busy for the jellyfish.

Attempt #3
I decided to drop all the background and just concentrate on improving my skills on making the jellyfish since it is very time consuming to make a Reef bead and then bungle it up by putting in a poorly executed jellyfish (which does look like I literally executed the poor thing in half) and it is beginning to look rather like a jellyfish!

Attempt #4
Most delighted with this bead, it REALLY looks like a jellyfish!!! I have taken another angle of the bead to show you the mantle of the jellyfish - ah, I am so satisfied with this bead!
This angle shows you how transparent the mantle is.

Attempted to make a sculptural fish on the Reef bead instead of a starfish. Well, I haven't figured out how to make the fish like a fish yet. It's ok but I'd like to fine-tune it.
Below are my latest creations for the past week. These beads have a paperweight look to them. They are 3-D and when I took the beads out of the kiln, they reminded me of my childhood days where we used crepe paper to make paper roses during art lessons in school.

PAPER ROSES Focal Bead
Blue/green background

Paper Roses Focal
This is the same bead as above, just another angle.

PAPER ROSES Bead Set with Focal
Blue/Green background

Close-up of Focal Bead from above bead set

PAPER ROSES Bead Set with Focal Bead
Amethyst background


PAPER ROSES Bead Set with Focal Bead
Cobalt blue background

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I totally LOVE the paper roses look. I love your work, met you in the hotel in Tucson 2 years ago. We had such a nice talk.

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, Cindy! I didn't go to Tucson this year and shan't be attending Tucson next year either. I prefer to concentrate on Bead & Button. Perhaps I'll see you in Milwaukee soon?!

sassyglassdesigns said...

You have such a beautiful style to your beads...love them.

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you, sassyglassdesigns!

Cindy said...

I was with my friends, we encouraged you to talk with Lewis about doing his show, your work should have been there or in the ballroom. We visited for quite some time. We had lots of laughs. WE haven't been to Tucson for 2 years. Work and things have gotten in our way. I love the paper roses, they are unique and very Dora!!