Wednesday, March 4, 2009

PURIST

Recently I posted my bracelets on several UK lampwork forums and when someone complimented me on how she like that I used a lampwork glass bead as a catch on one particular bracelet, I 'corrected' her by pointing out that all my catches have my own lampwork glass beads. Then Sue Simmons aka Sooz commented simply 'Purist' - I thought it was a pretty apt description and decided to use this name for my new necklace collection. My thanks to Sooz for coming up with the name of my new necklace collection!!

I now realize that being without a kiln certainly has its advantages - I am now doing things which I had shelved for many months, eg making jewelry with my lampies (don't you like this nickname?! It seems to be the latest nickname for lampwork glass beads, though I admit I don't know who started it).

One other reason why I have shelved making jewelry was the fact that I couldn't figure out how to finish my necklaces without the crimps and beading wire showing. Honestly speaking, I can't stand seeing them exposed, it feels unfinished and wishy-washy to me. However this is my own opinion and definitely not speaking for others in general. I know not all buyers are not as particular as I am about the exposed crimps and beading wire. You can't imagine how eternally long I have been pondering on this! It is only now I discovered how I could use seed beads to make my catches! Yes, I feel totally 'duh' about it. So, this kiln-less time has been such a valuable lesson!!

Here are 3 necklaces - all 18" long - I made yesturday:


TANGERINE DREAMS


PURPLE PASSION


CRYSTAL TEAL

4 comments:

Jennifer Cameron said...

All of them are absolutely STUNNING! I love how you accomplished the goal of no bead wire/crimps showing. That is an issue I try to avoid by mainly working with wire. However, sometimes wire doesn't work for the design I have in mind.

Lori Smith said...

Dora, those are truly lovely! Purist is a good name. So is "lampies." *giggle*

I have seen your beautiful beads at Lisa A's house. She is my good friend.

I can't wait to see more of your jewelry!

sassyglassdesigns said...

I am sitting here with my bottom lip hanging to the floor...these are absolutely gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. You have a beautiful way with glass and design.

Dora Schubert said...

Thank you all for your comments! Lori, Lisa makes beautiful beads!!!