Monday, December 29, 2008

CHANGES IN 2009

When I was in my teens, I would roll my eyes whenever I hear folks claiming how fast time has flown by. As a teenager, I simply could not understand why time for me went by so slow and was keen to hit legal age - ie 21 - ASAP. Not because I want to drink alcohol - I am one of those Asians who fortunately or unfortunately do not have the right enzymes to break down alcohol - I get drunk with just a sip of alcohol. Those impatient teenage years were thirty years ago and now my kids roll their eyes whenever I say how fast time has gone by!! I guess history repeats itself, no matter which part of the world we live in.

I stopped teaching lampworking after August this year as I needed time for myself. That was wise as I certainly needed the time for myself. My teaching schedule for 2009 is however confirmed and shall be conducting classes at the following venues:

Bead & Button 2009 Show (June), Milwaukee, USA

West Dean College (July), West Dean, UK

The Glass Furnace (August), Istanbul, Turkey

I shall also teach individually beginning September 2009 - either at my home or the student's.

For 2009, I shall definitely devote part of my time to my hobbies and cutting down my studio time for the weekends where I could go cycling with my husband in the countryside, reading novels, watching movies, making bags, more tap-dancing and also doing nothing - simply nothing! I have decided to take up individual lessons on top of my 'regular' class with Nicola (she's my tap dancing instructor) late January - you know, there comes a time in your life, when you learn something new, you want to learn it to the utmost and not do a half-baked job. I think that being a lampworker full-time, learning to tap seriously is exactly what I need to 'go into another mode'. This means I have to practise my tap daily, plan my tap rhythms as I also do tap improvisations and not just choreograph tap - ahhh, maybe I can shed some unwanted pounds this way!

Oh yes, some new beads from me - and my very best wishes for everyone in 2009!!!

'Purple Rain'

'Purple Passion'

'Snowflakes'

'A Brush Of Honey'

3 comments:

The Little Bead Shop Studio Blog said...

Oh So thrilled to hear you will be in the UK again! And I LOVE West Dean College! I'll keep an eye out for dates - would love to come!:)

Dora Schubert said...

Look forward to seeing you then, Emma!! I am excited and feel very privileged to be given the opportunity to teach at West Dean College!

ChatElaine said...

I sure the time for yourself is totally necessary. I think we all need that and if taking time off is the only way, I'm sure deserve it. Lovely beads as always! Happy 2009. Elaine x