Wednesday, May 21, 2008

LINES AND MORE LINES

I love straight lines, nothing fancy about lines one might think. Oh no, I am not talking about lines in supermarkets as in 'queues', as in the British vocabulary. If you look around, we are surrounded by lines everywhere - for example, houses, tables, chairs, the list goes on.

During my days in art training, we were required to draw straight lines free-hand and one exercise, our classmates held a large sheet of paper below our chins while we commenced to draw the lines on our own paper - in a way, it's like being blindfolded. I was trained then to draw lines with pencils, brush (sable, yes, those days we used sable hair brushes!) & ink and technical drawing pens. It was a challenge to get the lines not only close to each other but straight as well. Obviously this has made a huge impact in me that I continue to love drawing straight lines in my beads.

My latest collection of beads are made, yes you've guessed it, with lines (and dots) and in my favorite signature color combination of ivory, turquoise and ambers.

'JEWEL OF THE NILE'
Size of each bead: 1.6 x 1.7cm



This is a close-up of the above beads:

'JEWEL OF THE NILE'
Size of each bead: 1.6 x 1.7cm




Yesturday I decided to add new colors to the ivory-turquoise-amber combo by introducing yellow and orange sherbet to it. The top three beads (on the right) show the 'new' colors. I am quite pleased with the results.

'JEWEL OF THE NILE'
Size of each bead: 1.6 x 1.7cm


I have made more 'Window Beads' - these are made with Bullseye glass in crystal clear and antique white. I have been experiencing difficulties in capturing these beads with the camera, the brillance of the clear glass is not showing up as the beads really are.

'WINDOW BEADS - ANTIQUE WHITE'
Size of each bead: 1.6 x 1.7cm

1 comment:

ruth said...

Hi, maybe I can help with photos of clear glass. I've had lots of experience, as most of my work is clear. Put your work on a sheet of clear glass raised off the floor about 40cm. Put white paper on the floor underneath. Direct your photographic light onto the white paper and don't let the light shine on the work. You will have to play about with positions of all the elements. Shoot from above your work. Good luck. Hope this helps.
Ruth