Sunday, April 6, 2008

NUTS ABOUT BUTTONS

You know how it is when your mind is totally fixated on an idea and you can't shake it off? Well, that's what I am confronted with daily with my lampworking. I get so obsessed with making a particular design or shape that I need to 'get it out of my system'.

I had made several disc beads for incorporating into a woven jewelry - yes, the infamous 'Beaded Treasures' by Robin Atkins hit me months ago - though I shelved the disc beads since I had to prepare for the Bead Renaissance in Tucson early this February. Finally I caved in this week and harped into making disc beads. I had and am still having so much fun making them and now am onto making buttons too!

Flower Glass Buttons
about 1.7cm across

Flower Glass Buttons
about 1.7cm across

Flower Disc Beads
about 2.7cm across

Disc Beads with complex Twisties
about 2.7cm across

Another 'happy accident' with this set called 'The Great Romance'. Usually when I run a color test to see the reactions between the different colored glass, I make small spacer beads to do the testing. This time round, I decided to 'join' up all the colors instead of making several small beads. Sure I end up with lots of spacer beads but hardly use them. So, what was a test resulted in a wonderful idea for making something new!

'The Great Romance'
each bead is between 3.8-4.3cm long

'Morning Dance'

No comments: