Saturday, April 12, 2008

FLOWERS GALORE

Another lovely week spent on the torch, lots of experimenting and discovering ideas for myself. I am presently in a 'non-productive' though experimental phase at the moment. It is getting close to the next major event Bead & Button 2008 Show (early June) and as with each time before any event, I experiment instead of 'stocking' up. Perhaps it's a lack of discipline or state of rebellion - talk about being stuck in puberty!!

As with every spring, I love seeing the different and colorful flowers bloom. Each week, I see a new flower blossoming - nature offers a sense of order, it's like, 'ok, who's next in line?' Don't you agree, the nature around us is a wonderful source of inspiration?

As a lampworker, there are unendless techniques and artistry I like to work on or try out. One of them is making flower beads like the ones from Kristen Franzen-Orr and Leah Fairbanks. It's very close to painting on canvas or paper when using this method. Previously my techniques were not matured enough to venture into making these beads. I truly believe in 'there is a time and place for everything'. For the past few weeks, I had been toying with this method on and off, and two days ago, it suddenly sank in rather well. I am very satisfied with the focal beads from yesturday which I'd like to share with you -

'Blue Florals'
2.2x2.3cm

'Morning Glory'
3.4cm in length

'Morning Glory II'
4.3cm in length

'A Fairy's Garden'
2.8x1.9cm

'Snow White'
3.0x1.8cm
'Pink Chrysanthemums'
4.2cm in length

'Golden Chrysanthemums'
3.7x1.8cm

'Cherry Tree'
3.9cm in length

'Sweet Pea'
4.6cm in length

'Wisteria'
4.1cm in length

'Yellow Chrysanthemums'
4.5cm in length

'Teal and Pink Florals'
3.2cm in length

'Wild Flowers'
4.4x1.6cm


I also made a couple of red and purple hearts for the Beads of Courage program. I was inspired by another lampworker Andrea Guarino-Slemmons - I saw her lovely off-mandrel heart beads last year in Tucson. I made several heart beads on the mandrel and they didn't give me that kick I was looking for in my work. Here are some 'finished' red heart beads with little charms on them - in case you are curious, there is a 'bail' before the center knot. These charms hang over the heart when worn.

4 comments:

Louise HIll said...

Your work is fantastic!!! It is amazing.

Louise

Christina said...

Your work is so amazing. I will look for you at Bead & Button!

Betina Sandra Guelman said...

Your work is fantastic!!! It is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BETINA

chennaiy said...

Hallo Dora,es sind wunderbare Glasperlen,mach weiter so
Chennaiy